Foundation Consolidation – Oratory Salesians of Don Bosco (L’Aquila)

//Foundation Consolidation – Oratory Salesians of Don Bosco (L’Aquila)

Foundation Consolidation – Oratory Salesians of Don Bosco (L’Aquila)

Competence: Salesian San Juan Bosco work

Structure designer: Engineer Olori

Works director: Engineer Parigi

Company: Mancini


Slipping of the foundations and the subsequent damages in the buildings due to the seismic event the 6th of April, 2009


The Salesians of don Bosco Oratory in L’Aquila, was built in 1935.

It is the headquarters for many activities offered by the Salesians and L’Aquila community, the structure is a big claim both for the summery center, that organize training events “savior club” for young people of intermediate or higher education, and for the fact that some groups meet in the Oratory: PGS, Scout, dancers, catechesis and animators.

After the earthquake of 2009, the Oratory was damaged for the seismic oscillations and the foundations slipping; therefore, after the geological and geotechnical study, it arose the need to consolidate the construction.


Security enforcement and consolidation to the seismic adaptation and removal of the slipping of the Salesians of Don Bosco Oratory with “minipoles GEO-SYSTEM®”.


blog_oratorio_salesiani_02Almost the whole part of the intervention in the building is done with the technology of the classic micropoles, with all the constructions joint to them like: surfacing and joint ledges demolition and the corresponding reconstruction.

In the Church area, we need to avoid the removal of soils and keep intact the prestige works on the construction base. That is why the intervention was less invasive. We use the technology “mipoles GEO-SYSTEM®”

The “minipole GEO-SYSTEM®” technology, patented by Edilsystem, allow to make foundations with poles of small diameter, reducing the drilling dimensions as well as the ones of the machines, so that the damages are reduced.

Therefore, it is perfect for consolidating the foundations of the existing buildings, especially if we will have to do a bigger intervention for the improvement or adaptation to seismic events in the whole building.

The system consists on steel bars with their fixing nuts, sleeves, drilling heads, in addition to the concretes/ injection resins.

The hollow bars are inserted in the construction base that we want to consolidate, with rotatory drillings (rotatory percussive) with the existing foundations until getting to the ground under the foundations and the depth stablished on the project.

Vista dello stato di fatto dopo il sisma

Review of the current condition after the earthquake

The minipole head is fitted and anchored to the building foundations with an injection concrete “Microgroud Injection Anchor”, especially studied and tested for “minipoles GEO-SYSTEM®”, to ensure an appropriate transference for the stress between the wall and the cylindrical gripping surface of the minipole head, without needing to make lips on c.a.. For stress we meant the maximum applicable tangency to the existing construction.

The anchoring length of the head is calculated and verified with the mechanical characteristics of the existing construction in situ.

The injection of the minipole body in contact with the ground can be made with two products: expansive concrete or expansive resin. The choice of the material depends on the existing ground type in situ: loose soils needs expansive resin injections.

In this case, it has been used expansive concrete “Geo-XP”, especially studied and tested in our laboratories for the injection of “minipoles GEO-SYSTEM®”.

Even with smaller drilling diameters that the traditional minipoles, the adoption of resins and/or concretes with expansive characteristics, give to the system a high capacity to the transferred axial charges from the superstructure.blog_oratorio_salesiani_02

The total system is calculated and verified with the Technical Building Regulations – NTC 2008 (D.M14/1/2008); furthermore, it does not affect the esthetic of the construction because the minipole is all inside the wall and the invasive reduction of the works that don’t need the demolition of the existing surfacing.

All these characteristics make it suited to be used in interested properties for neighborhood.

Defense plan used for the consolidation of the foundations of Don Bosco Oratory.

Performance features

The proposed system allows making foundations deep type as it is described before. Regarding to the micropoles, the system has some differences. The anchor of the head to the existing walls is done with underground drilling inside the foundations: this system does not need to make lips in c.c. neither the execution of the respective drillings and hosting bags of the bars and the steel joint profiles.

Even having smaller drilling diameters than the traditional micropoles, the using of resins and/or concrete of expansion, gives the system good support features regarding to the transferred axial charges since the superstructure.

The inter-exis used can vary from a minimum of 60 centimeters from a maximum of 150-200 centimeters (compatible with project calculations). In case of charges especially elevated, it is possible to optimize the inter axis or, as an alternative, make an intervention concentrating all the minipoles in the areas which it is necessary.

The reduced invasive of the defense, together with the reduced dimensions of the machinery needed for the drilling, make it suitable to works with spaces and/or environments with small dimensions.

The proposed system is not invasive, it is completely reduced to the inside of the walls, it does not interfere with the esthetic of the building, it does not require the demolition of the existing surfacing: this characteristic make it particularly suitable for use it in interested properties for neighborhood.

Work steps

  • Rotatory percussive drilling without vibration to get through the buildings.
  • Drilling of the ground with self-drilling antlers of 38mm of diameter with bit head or three cuts (depending on the ground) until 76mm of diameter.
  • Anchoring the head of the minipole to the wall with reoplastic concrete “Microgroud Injection Anchor”.
  • Injection “minipoles GEO-SYSTEM®” with expansive laitance “Geo-Xp”.


Salesians arrive to the city in 1932 for the explicit order of the communal authority. They were conferred the direction of the male orphanage of the city while waiting for being provided of a headquarter for the Salesians work. The council offered for it the ex-Convent of Saint Lucy that after the needed adaptation, was made Oratory and Professional School. In 1935 the building was ready and the Salesians with some males of the orphanage and others were relocated. It was started with the Oratory and the School of crafts, with a carpentry, cobblers and tailors. After that, the Vocational Training (after the Training Center), the Middle School and the student accommodation for students of upper school. It has been years since the Middle School and the school for interns are closed; the student accommodation is now a University College. For several years, the community take care of the parish church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, near the construction, which were abandon later.

The Institution building was built in 1935 and was accessed by the hospice, the entry of the former convent. In 1953 two floors and a semi-basement was built until Via Porcionari (THE CURRENT VIA SAN JUAN BOSCO). This building was elevated with another floor.

In 1965 in front of the Institution, an oratory was built with containment efforts to have enough space for two floors and a court, with the street level entry in the upper floor.

In 1965 the Vocational training building was constructed, with the demolition of the upper yard and independent entry in Via Duca Degli Abbruzi. This allows to restructure the institute environments to get 100 rooms (for the community, college students and guests) and some rooms for different activities.

Since the 8th of September, 1950, the legal personality is recognized to the Salesian house called “San Juan Bosco Salesian society”, with headquarters in L’Aquila (DPR n.872). In the same year, the former convent was officially donated by the Communal council of L’Aquila, to the Salesian Society.

The Salesian Work is commited to different sectors.

The College: was closed after the earthquake.

“CFP” Professional Training Center: a part of the national training association CNOS-FAP.
It is followed by are about 100 of young people on his venue of Aquila, and about 300 on the others two venues of Abruzzo.

The Oratory: it is an institution that has seen generations of children and adolescents, making inroads in the sensitivity of L’Aquila, that has a great appeal for both the summer center, which organizes the training groupsSavio Clubfor children from middle and junior high, both for the fact that some groups are part of the Oratory: PGS, scouts, dance, boys of the catechism, youth leaders.

The Theatre-Cinema: was closed after the earthquake.
Since 1996, through the 240-seat hall, the Institute offers a cultural service that harmonizes with the Salesian Work and is appreciated from the city. Projections are made for at least 270 days.
Through the CGS, it is organized every year festivals of art films, independent Italian cinema, the old cinema, documentary and other events.

Attraverso il CGS, si organizzano ogni anno rassegne di film d’autore, del cinema italiano indipendente, del cinema storico, del documentario ed altri eventi. Also appreciated the course of cinematography for middle and high school.
In recent years he has had many other awards and honorable mentions, including in 2000 the “Sal Fiction” as the best art-house cinema of Italy.

The Welcome: for church groups, school camps, volunteers; currently inactive as a result of the earthquake.

Skip to toolbar