Seismic improvement – Cloister of San Domenico in Rieti

/, Uncategorized/Seismic improvement – Cloister of San Domenico in Rieti

Seismic improvement – Cloister of San Domenico in Rieti

Commission – Province of Rieti (RI)

Designer: Arch. Stefano Eleuteri

Construction manager: Arch. Stefano Eleuteri

Contractor Company: Cogepo srl

The problem

Need of seismic improvement of the whole building. It was also encountered degradation of the brick columns and non-invasive action was carried out with esthetical purposes, leaving facing brick columns.

Premise

The cloister of San Domenico in Rieti was built between 1226 and 1268.

The building is owned by the province of Rieti and now is the military headquarter Attilio Verdosi. Here is located the “Scuola Interforze per la difesa nucleare, biologica e chimica” of the Defense Ministry.

The building was hit by the earthquake in 1997.

The solution

Consolidation of masonry pillars with tensioned aramid bars, injected with B-component epoxy resin, for seismic protection.

The intervention

Considering the historical and artistic value of the building, jointly with the D.L. , a minimally invasive intervention was performed, in order to guarantee an active seismic improvement of the columns.

They were therefore employed tensioned aramid  bars (diameter: 10 mm) of injected fluid B-component epoxy resin.

Fasi di Lavoro

blog_sdomenico_rieti_05_2

Execution of through roto-percussion (16 mm) holes

[/fusion_builder_column_inner]

10 mm aramid bars insertion in the holes and surface sealing with resin

Insertion of tensioning clamps and injection pipes

Insertion of tensioning clamps and injection pipes

Tensioning bars with special jack

Tensioning bars with special jack

Hole Injection with B-component fluid epoxy resin

Hole Injection with B-component fluid epoxy resin

Wire cutting of the bars and protruding tubes and subsequent grouting

Wire cutting of the bars and protruding tubes and subsequent grouting

[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column]

blog_sdomenico_rieti_11

The church was started by Dominican friars that already lived in Rieti since 1263 and celebrated in the church of “SS. Apostoli”; they were very close to the city where St. Dominic was canonized by Gregorio IX in 1234; its convent was declared formally established in 1268.

Many painters of the center of Italy frescoed the walls and chapels throughout 1300.

The noble altars were built with the advent of the Baroque, as well as plastering of the chapels and covering part of the frescoes. The current tower dates back to 1642. Church suffered decay and neglect but fortunately was not finally demolished. After being restored and beautified, it could resist the Napoleonic invasions, which caused the suppression of the monasteries; the Dominicans were expelled from the church and convent in 1860, with the arrival of the unit of Italy.

In the 90’s and after so many years of neglect, Monsignor Luigi Bardotti (pastor of Santa Lucia), using public and private funds, took care of the restoration of the church, that was invaded by grasses and had lost its roof. The church was finally consecrated in 1999 and now houses the Dom Bedos Roubo organ, unique in the world.

The beautiful frescoed cloister is not always accessible, but only on designated days by the military headquarter Attilio Verdosi (where the “Scuola Interforze per la difesa nucleare, biologica e chimica” of the Defense Ministry is located).

2017-12-15T05:34:47+00:00
Skip to toolbar